Friday, January 25, 2013

Combating Women in Combat

Yes, I am responding to current events with a blog post. It seems to be happening more and more of late.

I am sure you have heard of the Pentagon's most recent change in policy. That of allowing women to take positions of combat should they desire, or show above average qualifications.

   Before I go into the following... I'm going to tell you I don't think the only place for women is at home. I believe places in business, politics, and other societal areas are fine for women to participate in. I don't think scripture calls women to be only ones who are "Barefoot, Pregnant, and in the Kitchen."
   The following points come as always, based off scripture. You can argue all day about physical prowess and scientific comparison of male/female body types... And both have valid points. Problem is, if you base your arguments upon these facts, you are simply debating scientific viewpoints. These are not what we should base our opinions on, because our understanding of science is always changing.
   Personally, I think it if fine if a woman wants a domestic intelligence job, and can do it well, let he work there. My personal line comes up when they can be placed into combat, on the ground, situations. The recent decision does not place women in combat role, but rather, allows them to volunteer to do so.  I do not believe at all in any way women should have, or be allowed to have, a role in combat. 

   I say this because I see nowhere in scripture a precedent placed that it is a woman's role to go out and fight for her country or family. It is clearly, the man's role and job to defend his family. I see today, a society shirking off that responsibility in the name of equality. Guess what? Men and women aren't the same. They have different God-given Strengths and weaknesses. This is a good thing! Instead of celebrating these differences, we see a society rejecting God's perfect design, and replacing it with what they deem best.

"Uh Austin?" You say. "What about Deborah?"

I'm so glad you asked. ;)

Women did indeed have roles other than wife in scripture.... Specifically to this topic of leadership and war.
   We see first, and most famously, Esther. Who was made queen in a time of jewish captivity, and used that political power to save the jewish race.
    We see Deborah, made judge and leader of the military in the darkest time of the jewish people. Why? Because there were no men to fill the position.
   Also in Judges, we see Jael, the wife of Heber, let the commander of the Caanaite army into her tent, and then killed him in his sleep, as God predicted.
What do all of these have in common? The state of their society was in ruins or degradation. In each of these stories, we see the Jewish people have turned from the perfect ways God has made known to them... and the result creates stories which are terrible and sad.

This is the same thing we are seeing today. In the name of "women's rights" (which I believe are a good thing), we are taking the roles of men, and societally pressuring women to step into those roles. The majority of men also, are at huge fault, for gladly relinquishing these roles, so as not to seem stuck in the cave man stone age. They too are succumbing to the societal pressures of "progress". Not all progress is good. If I am walking towards a cliff edge, I am indeed making progress, but walking over a cliff, even if it is your goal, is not beneficial to your health.

There is a huge difference between women having equal rights in society, and being pressured into roles not designed for them by God. That is what is happening today. And I shudder to think in a few generations what that will look like if something doesn't change. 
   What we can rejoice in though, is in the knowledge God has everything planned out and is going to his plan. He wasn't surprised by this, He isn't concerned. Honestly, I am not concerned either. Am I sad? Yes. Am I frustrated? Yes. But if we rest in the knowledge God knows what he is doing, we can have peace, and praise Him for working all things to His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment