Saturday, December 22, 2012

Shhhh! I can't hear the Quiet.

We live in a society of sensual stimulation and comfort. Every place you go there is music for our ears, colorful banners for our eyes, candles for our noses, and controlled climates for our bodies.

Out of all of these, I think hearing is one which is most ignored. While alone in the house today, it occurred to me to listen to the quiet.

Have you ever done that before? To turn off all music, radios, computers, etc, be still... and listen to the quiet? There are so many little background noises which we never notice, until we take a minute to hear them... Here is what I heard....

First, the breathing of our cat. It was slow, and light... until she sneezed.

Then, I heard the wind, birds, and occasional car outside. They were muffled, but always changing.

Then, I heard the hum of the refrigerator, low, but there.

The last thing I was able to hear, was something I had never heard before. The ticking of our kitchen clock. It is small, and I never knew it audibly ticked. But it does, and now that I have consciously listened to it, the clock provides a very nice beat to the house I never noticed before.

Praise the Lord for the sense of hearing. I know we are over saturated with noise these days, but try sitting and just listening to the quiet. You might be surprised at what you hear.

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment